Chongzheng Hall

2013-11-24


Built during the reign of Tiancong of the Later Jin Dynasty (1627-1636), the Chongzheng Hall has a flush gable roof commonly seen in northeastern China. The roof of the building is made of yellow glazed tiles with green edges, and has colored glazes for its ridge, vertical ridges, able eave boards, gables, and other components. The baotou beam is carved into a form of leaping three-dimensional dragon, and there is no ceiling to the interior of the hall, fully exposing the structures of the roof beam. It was here that Huang Taiji held court audiences, received diplomatic envoys, and held imperial celebrations of various scales. During the reign of Emperor Qianlong, a sundial and jialiang, a device for measuring volume standard, were added to the front of the hall, symbolizing the country’s unification and prosperity.


The colorfully glazed corbels at both ends of the gables are in the form of four vertically connected sumeru platform, where their three sides are inlaid with colored glazed pieces in alternating colors including yellow, green, and blue. The upper and lower cymas are in the form of the up-facing and bottom-up lotus flowers, whereas in the contracted waist, from bottom to up are respectively qilin the mythical animal, rising dragons, rosettes, and animal faces, coupled with flames, auspicious plants, and other patterns.